How to check internet speed in my location before purchase?

Options
Yannick P. #25777
Yannick P. #25777 Posts: 3 ✭✭
Is it possible to check internet speeds in my location before buying this service? Last provider I had brought our plan down due to our location not being able to get a certain speed. I'm wondering if it's the same for all providers or just that particular one? Don't want to pay for extra speed I can't get

Answers

• MichelP
    MichelP Posts: 8,733 ✭✭
    Options
    Yannick,
    Normally, if you choose a speed for your plan, you will get that speed if your equipment is connected with an ethernet câble.
    For the wi-fi network, it can be less .
  • Mike
    Mike Posts: 20,759 ✭✭
    Options
    nowadays for cable connection the speed is not a problem.
    Moreover, Fizz is using a videotron cable which can deliver a 1Gbps
  • Fizzy
    Fizzy Posts: 10,935 ✭✭
    Options
    Hi Yannick,

Was your last provider using cable technology or adsl (bell)?
    If it was adsl, you cannot compare. Fizz is using Videotron cable network.

If Fizz lets you register the selected speed plan, then it should be available at your address.
    If you are not sure, then you can try selecting the same plan on any of the cable internet companies. If that speed is available, you will surely get it.
  • Yannick P. #25777
    Yannick P. #25777 Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Options
    Okay thanks for the replies.
  • Alexandre P. 40143
    Alexandre P. 40143 Posts: 204 ✭✭
    Options
    Sorry I don’t know how to help you
  • Liza K.
    Liza K. Posts: 1 ✭✭
    Options
    Not suer if this helps, but when looking for a phone plan with Fizz I googled "Fizz coverage" and it showed a map and wherever it was green that meant the service was LTE and all the other areas (red) the service would be 3G or poorer. This is to do with phone plans, could be different for internet...
  • SuperFizzeur
    SuperFizzeur Posts: 3,777 ✭✭
    Options
    Hi Yannick. Thanks for your fantastic question.
    You will get what you will pay for! On wi-fi it's normal you lose some speed, more far-away you are from router, less speed u get. But with ethernet cable (rj45) you will get full speed you can get, but it's depend on how devices is currently using your network.
    I think your old provider was using ASDL (internet over the phone line), Fizz use FTTN so the speed is constant.
    It's been a pleasure to assist you today. If you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask.
    Don't forget to mark this answer as the best answer! :)
  • SuperFizzeur
    SuperFizzeur Posts: 3,777 ✭✭
    Options
    Hi!
    Problem resolved?
  • Olivier R. #3666
    Olivier R. #3666 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the questions
  • AntonioMar
    AntonioMar Posts: 788 ✭✭
    Options
    If the problem is resolved, could you please close the question.
This discussion has been closed.