Issues with network connectivity in Japan?

Options
I looked up in the community hub and I seem to be the only one who had issues connecting to any mobile network in Japan. My girlfriend and I have different phones from different generations and it wouldn't work with any. I could receive text messages but could not manage to transfer any data. tried multiple times for a month in different cities and with different APN settings on multiple carriers. Couldn't get it to work.
The two phones are : BlackBerry Priv and Sony Xperia X.
Anyone else had this issue?
Thanks,

Answers

• sasadrine
    sasadrine Posts: 57 ✭✭
    Options
    Remember that with Fizz, receiving texts anywhere on the planet is free - as long as you have coverage / cell service.
  • Alexandre S. #14494
    Options
    @MT yes I did have data roaming on both phones, it was one of the first things I checked.
  • kk
    kk Posts: 143 ✭✭
    Options

did you buy travel add-on?

data paid from wallet might not work, or else if you do not have money in your fizz wallet.

to receive sms you do not need either funds in wallet or any add-on.

• Alexandre S. #14494
    Options
    @kk Yes I did buy the Japan travel add-on for 5 $, I purchased it with my standard payment method. In any cases, we ended up renting a pocket WiFi.
  • Chase S.
    Chase S. Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Options
    Have you tried turning off automatic network selection and connecting manually? Sometimes when I travel this solves incoming/outgoing text and call issues
  • Alexandre S. #14494
    Options
    @Fizzy @Chase I'll check this out, I tried changing from one carrier to the other but it didn't work, I did not check if the frequencies were supported.
  • MichelP
    MichelP Posts: 8,733 ✭✭
    Options
    I would sugget you this advice. Buy a local sim card .
    Use preferably messaging apps (whatsapp, messenger).
    Have a nice trip to Japan.
This discussion has been closed.