Slow internet?

Options
Elmaza
Elmaza Posts: 2 ✭✭
I changed internet because i heard that fizz was good but our wifi is very slow specially on messenger snap chat and i m worried when kids star school they use zoom video chat the modem if plugged in the middle floor i have 3 floors but i m on the same floor as the modem box and messenger is blocking
It never blocked before with bell
I am new customer!

Answers

• Emmanuel S. #36497
    Emmanuel S. #36497 Posts: 235 ✭✭
    Options
    Truth is most wifi routers perform the same, there's a legal limit on how strong the signal can be and they all operate at that power limit. You best bet would be to use signal repeaters or passing some cabling around and adding additional access points.
    If your house has COAX cable then a solution like MOCA2 adapters could help you get wired internet in other places (to hook up more desktops or adding access points), it's what I had to do in my townhouse, seem no one was putting ethernet wires in the 70's when they built it, lol
    Good luck to you, but really no matter the provider, I dont think it will solve your issue, it's not an internet issue but a wireless signal propagation issue.
  • Carlos F. #16703
    Carlos F. #16703 Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Options
    In order to troubleshoot, try connecting your laptop via cable to the modem and test the speed. If it the speed is good, you need to check the WIFI settings. If the speed sucks while connected via cable, talk to a Fizz agent.
  • Fizzy
    Fizzy Posts: 10,904 ✭✭
    Options
    Hi Elmaza

Sorry you are having internet issues.

Does the problem occur with WIFI only or even when you connect directly to modem via Ethernet cable?

Please unplug the Fizz modem from the wall outlet for 2 minutes. Then restart it and try a speedtest using a device connected to the modem by ethernet cable.

If the issue occurs with WIFI only, you may benefit from disabling auto channel selection in your modem admin settings, and selecting a specific channel. You can find which channel is least congested by using a smart phone and downloading a WiFi analyzer app, which will show you the channels of nearby devices.

Also try to change the electrical socket since it can be some kind of interference from the electrical socket or the modem position.
    Did you remove all the plastic wrap from the modem and keep it in a vertical position?

If the problem continues, you can try factory reset of the modem by pressing and holding down the small button behind the modem for 10+ seconds with a sharp object like paper clip.

If there is no improvement, you can contact customer support by chat:
    1- Connect to your Fizz account by clicking « Login » in the top right corner at fizz.ca
    2- Any ad blockers in your browser should be disabled.
    3- Open a Fizz help page like this one: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/i-connected-my-device-using-network-cable-my-internet-connection-slow-how-do-i-fix-it
    4- The green chat bubble should appear after a few seconds in the bottom right corner.
  • vgStef
    vgStef Posts: 162 ✭✭
    Options
    How did you configure your Fizz modem? Are you connecting using the 5G or the 2,4G? 5G has more difficulties passing through walls and floors, so you could try both to see which one works best.
This discussion has been closed.