Modem range decreased?

clau3166
clau3166 Posts: 130 ✭✭
My modem has recently decreased its available range - at one end of my place I used to have a great connectivity and now suddenly I only have 2 of the 3 wifi bars and often end up on cellular data without knowing it. I have been with fizz for a little over a year. Is it because of the age of my modem? Will a reboot fix this issue or do you think I need a new modem? What can I check to confirm range and effectiveness of modem is still good? Thanks!

Answers

• Fizzy
    Fizzy Posts: 10,819 ✭✭
    Hi Clau3166

Sure you can try rebooting your modem to see if anything changes.

It is more likely that something in your area has changed. If you have a new neighbor or one has installed a new router or new internet service, it is possible you are getting more usage or interference on your wifi channels. For this, you can install a wifi analyzer on your phone to help determine which channels are better suited for your modem and then adjust the settings on your modem accordingly.

Also if you don't want to end up accidentally using mobile data is, one thing you could do is turn off the wifi assist option on your phone.
  • Philip D. #28440
    Philip D. #28440 Posts: 93 ✭✭
    Hi clau3166,
    With the fizz app you can check the Wi-Fi signal strength. You can see if repositioning your router might help. I read on another post there is no 2.4 antenna on the front of the router, so if you are connecting with that frequency repositioning might help?
This discussion has been closed.