" Keep connection alive"

Options
Joseph A. #23737
Joseph A. #23737 Posts: 3 ✭✭
The cable connection appears to "close the connection" when idle.
So when I start up Outlook in the morning to connect to to my office server, I always get a "connection to server error". It takes appx 15 to 30 seconds to "connect" and sync.
Is this a setting that can be configured?
I've never had this type of a lag time when on DSL and I am considering going back to DSL....

Answers

• OoumFiss
    OoumFiss Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Options
    Hi Joseph,
    The trouble sounds more to be coming from Windows having issue resuming from being Idle !!
    Cable Modem are an "always on " type of connection in between hardware !
    Hope this helps .
    Cheers!
  • Joseph A. #23737
    Options
    @OoumFiss thank you for your input, however, It does not seem to be a Windows issue since I have more than one connection exhibiting the same symptoms. It takes several seconds to "connect" to the Internet. Connected are 2 iPhones, 1 Android phone, 1 Android tablet, 1 MacBook, 1 Linux laptop, 1 Win 10 Laptop ,and 1 Win 10 Desktop soooo....
  • OoumFiss
    OoumFiss Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Options
    @Joseph Did you always had this behavior with the Hitron/Coda Modem since the begining ? is the Hitron in bridge mode and are you using a router ? Again the "line" in between Videotron's infrastructure and your cable Modem ( Hitron) is always on , always alive !
  • Joseph A. #23737
    Options
    @OoumFiss yes, it has always had this behavior, but to be fair to Fizz, I had a service with a different provider a couple of years ago also with a "coax" modem, i.e. service conduit provided by Videotron, and I had the same problem. The modem then was a Thomson DMC475.
    When switch over to DSL the problem disappeared.
    I'm thinking the connection is dropped when there's no activity and reconnects as required, going through the typical ACK/NAK login protocol. I don't know and no tech has been able to confirm either way... I do miss my DSL connection though....
  • SuperFizzeur
    SuperFizzeur Posts: 3,777 ✭✭
    Options
    Hi Joseph! Thanks for reporting your problem, and thanks for your fantastic question! :)
    In your case i suggest you to contact directly a fizz support rep by clicking the green chat bubble in your account dashboard or by facebook under the name fizz!
    It's been a pleasure to assist you today! Have a great day! :)
    Don't hesitate to mark my answer as the best! :)
This discussion has been closed.