Fizz modem losing connection - now cannot access modem settings via IP?

Gavin Y.
Gavin Y. Posts: 3 ✭✭

Hi,

I got Fizz home internet about two months ago, and when it works it's great and I have no issues with speed, but sometimes all my devices lose their connection, and Fizz support say my modem is fine...

I initially had my PC wired straight to the modem, and phones etc on the modem's wi-fi as I had just moved house and hadn't unpacked my own router or other devices. Even with this setup, the connection would drop a few times a week, only for a few minutes, but enough to interrupt Netflix and drop me from online gaming. I figured maybe it was the router feature of the modem, so unpacked my own TP-Link router, plugged it in and disabled the Gateway functionality as recommended by other customers in the community hub.

I still get random disconnects, but the weirdest part is that once one happens, I can no longer access the Fizz modem's settings/status page via it's IP (I know the IP changes to 192.168.100.1 once in bridge mode), so I'm not even able to check what it thinks its uptime is.

And there's the rub - often when an outage occurs, the modem's blue lights turn to green and only the top two or three are lit, but in multiple chat sessions with Fizz support they claim that everything is fine on my connection and it must be caused by my own setup. I'd like to validate their assertions but checking the modem's status page, but the only way to bring that back is to reset the modem (terminating the connection...)

Has anyone else had problems with brief disconnects? Fizz support told me they wouldn't send a technician out because their technical team checked and said everything was fine and my modem had been connected for nearly two weeks. They actually said that next time I should contact them DURING one of the outages, but since they only last a few minutes I feel like I'll never manage it in time.

Seriously considering dropping Fizz and going back to a competitor (which would be more expensive), because I game, stream and sometimes work from home and need a connection I can rely on.

It's worth noting that the previous tenants were with an ISP who also use Videotron's lines and had no problems, so I wonder if I might have a dodgy modem?

Answers

• M T. #338
    M T. #338 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭
    According to your information : it used to work fine. You've moved. So the new factor is the new location. It could be the modem or the new location (wire/cable at the new location).
    A couple of users have complained about a similar situation : but each situation is unique.
    If you decide to stay with Fizz then you should contact them when it happens (shortage) so they can diagnostic the problem. Otherwise they will tell you that there is no problem (and probably because the problem wasn't there when they examine your case)
    If the root cause is the new location (wire/cable) then changing provider won't solve the problem right the way until someone pointing it out.
  • Gavin Y.
    Gavin Y. Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Sorry, I should have been more clear - I wasn't with Fizz until I moved to this apartment a couple of months back. I know the previous tenants and they had perfect service with another provider. I'd happily try another modem in case mine is faulty, but Fizz don't seem willing to entertain that idea :(
  • Chris K. #7521
    Chris K. #7521 Posts: 486 ✭✭
    I had a similar issue my first day. I factory reset the modem and haven't had any issues yet. Another cause could be if this happens when you are using a lot of bandwidth. The Fizz modem uses the Intel puma chip which causes latency to spike.
    https://amp.reddit.com/r/FizzMobile/comments/aviiz3/known_issues_with_hitron_coda4680/
  • Kovid
    Kovid Posts: 588 ✭✭
    It should be stable by now
This discussion has been closed.