iMessage in USA?

Options
Liza B.
Liza B. Posts: 1 ✭✭
Hi! I am planning a business trip in USA, and I want to add data to my plan! However, I am not sure if this will cover my text message via iMessage? Do I need to add text message as well, since I will probably only use iMessage, and be on wifi most of the time. Thanks!

Answers

• Mike
    Mike Posts: 20,751 ✭✭
    Options

From this page https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT207006

iMessages are texts, photos, or videos that you send to iOS devices and Macs over Wi-Fi or cellular-data networks.

Therefore, you need the data if you send to other imessage users

• Code_KRUEW
    Code_KRUEW Posts: 400 ✭✭
    Options
    If you have data, you will be covered for iMessage. However, if it can't use iMessage and it falls back to SMS, you would not be covered for sending SMS on just a data package. Receiving SMS is always free with or without a text or data plan.
    Since you say you will be on wifi most of the time, iMessages will continue to work without the need of a data plan.
  • M T. #338
    M T. #338 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭
    Options
    If you'll be using only Imessage then you don't need text message add-on
  • redhead
    redhead Posts: 818 ✭✭
    Options
    As others said, iMessage is data so you will need data to receive them. You will receive them if you are on a Wifi connection though.
    However, if you turn off iMessage, you will receive your iMessages as SMS and Fizz confirmed to me that you receive SMS for free regardless of where you are.
This discussion has been closed.