why is call forwarding not working when cellular is down?

Dan O. #2376
Dan O. #2376 Posts: 3 ✭✭
I have a landline as well as fizz, and my phone is set to call forward to the land line if my cellular isn't reachable. This worked great on my old carrier, but on Fizz, if my cell isn't reachable, the call just goes to a recorded message saying to try again later. Given the daily network failures on Fizz, this isn't acceptable. This leads me to believe that the problems Fizz is having with outages has less to do with wireless, and more to do with the basic telecom layer that the wireless service is riding on top of.

Answers

• R1ck_D
    R1ck_D Posts: 494 ✭✭
    Good Question/recap/understanding of the situation/outage.
    However, Fizz is really shy on info/Network problem....
    Sadly
    We don't know why... Thank's for your input
  • Kovid
    Kovid Posts: 588 ✭✭
    Call forwarding has never worked for me with or without outage.
    Tickets were opened for me, and I have followed all the instructions but nothing has worked.
    I finally gave up. If it does work for someone, please share your experience.
  • Dan O. #2376
    Dan O. #2376 Posts: 3 ✭✭
    There seems to be no way to reply to answer, so I'll put this here:
    Call forwarding does (normally) work for me. I had a voip based land line with a virtual receptionist that can take voice mail and drop it into one of several different mailboxes. These then get sent out by e-mail, the voice mail message as an audio attachment. This way, I get an easy to find permanent record of all the voice mail. The service I use is from voip.ms, and it is super inexpensive, and a good backup when using a lower priced mobile service. I think I pay something like $3 /month -- maybe less, but you need to buy a box to connect your internet to your phone (maybe $80 for that).
    Anyway, on to the forwarding. All I did to set it up on my samsung s7 was to go into the phone app, open settings (under the 3 dot "hamburger" menu), then open "more settings", then select "call forwarding". That gives you 4 options for call forwarding - always, when busy, when unanswered and when unreachable. I have all but the first one set to voip land line.
    I don't have voice mail from fizz - so that might be another factor too.
    That's it, and it works for me as long as Fizz is working. On my old carrier (wind/freedom) it worked even if they the network wasn't up.
  • Kovid
    Kovid Posts: 588 ✭✭
    Thanks, Dan. I received your messages.
    I also have these 4 options (always forward. ..when busy...when unanswered. ..forward when unreachable ) in my phone call forwarding settings. But whenever I try to enable them, only the "always forward " option works. For the other ones, I get the following error message "unexpected response from network ".
    Since customer service was unable to help, I gave up.
This discussion has been closed.