Roaming in BVI

Options
Jacob S. #368
Jacob S. #368 Posts: 21 ✭✭
Recently traveled to BVI and purchased Latin America 1Gb data add-on. Out of 3 local providers could only get data connection on two, so had to manually select the operator. Digicel did not work. The phone connects to their network, but data does not work. On those two, I could only get HSPA connection with speeds close to the crawl, loosing data connectivity completely at times, which was annoying. My wife's Bell phone was on LTE all of the time with blasting speed. I guess "you get what you pay for" stands true here...

Answers

• M T. #338
    M T. #338 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback
  • Mike
    Mike Posts: 20,747 ✭✭
    Options
    I believe that in roaming you do not have LTE but probably I am wrong.
    Edit: I do not find any information therefore I belive that I am wrong.
  • Lopresor
    Lopresor Posts: 257 ✭✭
    Options
    I kindly disagree with OP on this case. Bell and Videotron both have their partners, and depending on your location, you will get different results from those two providers / partner networks. In your specific case, Bell stands out to be the winner, nothing more nothing less.
    If I recall, Rogers and Telus are Videotron's partners. I believe Bell as well, but since they are partners only, the network will be limited.
    To what extent ? Only insiders will know.
  • gremiobr
    gremiobr Posts: 237 ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the information!
  • Victor Azzi
    Victor Azzi Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Options
    I have had a similar experience. Out of 3 providers that were available, only 1 actually worked. It had to be manually selected. After a couple of days it stopped giving me issues, but the speeds were still low. (Although this might simply due to the carrier)
  • Jacob S. #368
    Jacob S. #368 Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Options
    I don't think it's a problem of the local operator, but rather an agreement Fizz has with them. Bell phone on the same network had much faster speed and connection reliability. I don't care if it's HSPA as is quite fast, unless it's throttled.
This discussion has been closed.