Contacts outside my local zone not receiving my texts?

Karl C. #2412
Karl C. #2412 Posts: 20 ✭✭
Since a couple of days ago contacts outside of local area have stopped receiving my texts yet I still receive theirs. (I'm in Montreal and texting family in the Maritimes). Was working fine. Contacted Fizz chat who said they would escalate the issue. Anyone else have similar issues? Sorry if not the right forum for this!

Answers

• GyslainH
    GyslainH Posts: 319 ✭✭
    hi RFD member! As for me it never happened but if your APN are fine and it worked ibn the past i suggest you wait for Fizz escaladation to complete
  • Karl C. #2412
    Thanks for the quick reply. I've re-entered my APN details but didn't fix it. Was working fine. Been on Fizz for 3 weeks. Same thing has happened on wife's iPhone. Weird!
  • GyslainH
    GyslainH Posts: 319 ✭✭
    Strange, I don't have problems on my Side, but i'm mostly using Imessage so
    And nobody bitched at me saying i didn't respond to their text so
  • TheMMc
    TheMMc Posts: 489 ✭✭
    I think it's a known issue but you still can contact Fizz on messenger.
  • Karl C. #2412
    Thanks for the help. Texts to contacts in the Montreal/Ottawa region are received all Ok. Seems like problem is only to those outside that zone.
  • TheMMc
    TheMMc Posts: 489 ✭✭
    Maybe Fizz have problem where they don't offer the service. Thay might have trouble to pass the info to the next carrier. you should contatc them for more info/resolution.
  • Sebastien
    Sebastien Posts: 2,127 ✭✭
    The known issue is mostly about MMS (pictures), and you said you only sent text messages, and outside your local area. Mmm. I will recommend you to chat with support. They'll obviously ask you to check at your APN settings, it took me 3 communications to get my issue escalated. But it's the only way to get the issue fixed. And it might help the entire community at the same time!
  • Karl C. #2412
    Thanks. Chatted with Fizz yesterday.They said they would escalate. It seems like it started on Wed of last week. Affecting our three lines (wife, daughter and me). I'm on Android and they are iPhone. Strange that others are not experiencing any issues.
  • Got Fizzed
    Got Fizzed Posts: 86 ✭✭
    I dont have the same problem as you with SMS but for Local calls from landlines, I had problems for 3 days after I ported my number and it got resolved this weekend.... after a 3 chat sessions.
    Like you I contacted them the same day I noticed it, followed up the next day and the day after but each time they assured me they are working on it as top priority... told me they have escalated the issue and would update me when it is fixed...
    I never got any updates from them, but i was constantly checking from a landline to see if i can finally get incoming landlines... and to my surprise , it was magically connected and working .
    So your best bet is constantly check with them... they do not have any follow up unfortunately and the only way to get an update is either chat with them or test it yourself ( in my case ).
    Good luck
  • Karl C. #2412
    Thanks. Good advice. Will do. Only problem is that only way to check if it is fixed is to send a text to my contact and then call them to see if they received it. Hopefully fixed soon. I'm thinking that because it's all three of us here in the household it must be a network issue.
  • Dallaire_M
    Dallaire_M Posts: 509 ✭✭
    Did you updated you phone and APN settings ?
    Try to desactivate iMessages if you have an iPhone.
    Try to hard reset your pHone.
    What is the cell phone that you are using ?
  • Karl C. #2412
    Thanks. Using an Android. ZTE Axon 7 mini. Deleted the Fizz APN and reinstalled it. Removed the Sim reinstalled and rebooted. Only seems to be a problem with texts I am sending to Maritimes (Nova Scotia and NL). Strange thing is that all was working fine up to about Wed of last week.
  • Karl C. #2412
    I'm wondering if it could be the SMSC number. It's currently displayed as "+14385200092",145. From what I've read this should be OK. Comments?
  • Michael Pond
    Michael Pond Posts: 5 ✭✭
    +1 for this problem.
    Ottawa (613 number) -> Newfoundland, multiple 709 numbers... texts are not getting through. They appear to send fine on my end, but my family is not getting them.
  • Karl C. #2412
    Thanks Michael. At least I know it's not just my household with the problem!
  • Michael Pond
    I just got someone named Raluca on help. They told me that my texts do not go to newfoundland because they dont cover newfoundland.... which... they do... as a coverage area. So that was wrong. And also - that would make no sense as to why they weren't going through - or why they would stop all of a sudden. i'm waiting for someone else... that person was useless.
  • Karl C. #2412
    You're right ! It did work so something changed. Also, for me it's not just 709 contacts, but also 902 and my son, who has a 416 number but is now in the 902 area. Something screwy for sure. I'll try chat again when the waiting times are a bit shorter. Hopefully Fizz tech support monitors these threads.
  • Michael Pond
    OK - got Erika this time and she has been much more helpful. She's logging a ticket.
  • Karl, I am having the same issue as you. And it happened last Wednesday as well, from my experience. A friend of mine moved to Ottawa from Calgary about 2 months now, we've been texting no issues since my switch to fizz. That was until I texted him a few times on Wednesday and never had a reply. Once we met up, he showed me he never received them. I've since tested with a few friends from the US, I can receive their txt msg no problem but they are not getting my replies. This is only an issue with those outside of the Fizz coverage zone, it seems from my testing. The Canada & US portion of the plan is to call / txt / mms and data anywhere in there, so I don't buy the answer that newfoundland isn't in their coverage so it won't work. This is definitely something on the Fizz network that changed and not on anyones mobile device, 100%. I've been testing and troubleshooting this since Wednesday and reached out to Fizz today, I haven't had a response yet. I am following your thread to see if there are any updates. If I get anything worth sharing I will reply. With data and voice still working, it's a very easy issue to work around for me. Keep in mind they are still beta iirc, issues are normal, and this is a small one.
  • Karl C. #2412
    Christopher:
    Thanks for the info. I've also been troubleshooting my phone with APN settings, SMSC number etc but now that I know others are affected, it's clearly a Fizz network hiccup. I contacted Fizz chat for a second time earlier and they noted that the original ticket is still open, and they committed to expedite it. If I hear anything I will definitely post back here. Hopefully sooner, rater than later ! I'm loving Fizz so far so I do have some patience with the issue.
  • Karl C. #2412
    Good news !!! My texts are now going through to my "902" and "709" contacts. Not sure what happened but for now all's working as it was before.
  • Just saw your update Karl, it's working for me as well. What was sent was never received but jew msgs are working
  • Michael Pond
    Fixed here too! My buddy was having this problem as well.
  • Kovid
    Kovid Posts: 588 ✭✭
    Even international texts should go through with no problem.
This discussion has been closed.